Friday, October 31, 2008

Surgery Over and Done!!

Okay so surgery was the 22ncd of October. I did the bilateral with immediate reconstruction. It was really cool. The Tv news crew was there filming the whole thing. They are doing a documentary on my journey through breast cancer. It will air most likely in Feb. I will keep you posted. Surgery went really well!! The breast cancer is now just meaningless dead cells and I only had 1 node with 6 dead cells involved. I may not have to have radiation which is really good news! So far I dont miss my breast but the implants that I have in right now are hard and high. I have been told that this is just temporary until they put the permanent implants in. I got my drains removed today and I feel like a new women!! So far so good. I feel so much better with the surgery behind me.

No comments:

About Me

I am a runner, fitness instructor, and flight attendant. On 4/4/08 I was diagnosed with infiltrating ductal carcinoma. I had a 2.9 cm tumor with one node involved. At the young age of 40, I faced the fact that I had breast cancer. After the 1st 4 rounds were over and I went in for more pictures of the tumor I was devastated to find that it had not shrunk AT ALL! Three weeks later I started taxotere and herceptin. After completion of chemo the tumor has shrunk to be half it's original size and the cells are inactive. Now I await surgery to have a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. My surgery is scheduled for the first part of Oct and I will keep you posted. Cancer has shown me whats important in life. The love from my husband, family, friends, and even total strangers has amazed me! I really am blessed.